Proxying My First Commander!

     Commander is one my favorite formats in the MTG. Commander is a singleton 100 card format where you build your deck based on one legendary creature or planeswalker if allowed. Each person is allow to have one copy of a card unless it's a land or a card specified allowing you to play more than one copy. For example, Hare Apparent. it's a one colorless and one white creature that allows you to make as many 1/1 rabbit token as you control that many Hare Apparents. Rabbits are a extremely popular creature kindred type in this format. who doesn't love adorable little rabbits swarming the board and nibbling at your life total to end the game... I should build one eventually. 

    For first commander I played was zombies, specifically dimir zombies with a legendary creature called Wilhelt, The Rotcleaver. A two colorless one blue and one black creature with 3/3 power and toughness being allow to sacrifice and reproduce zombies with decayed. Decayed is term used where if you attack with said creature that has it, you sac it during the end of combat. Therefore, making you play aggressive and perform a sort of aristocrat demolition with reproduction of zombie tokens. 



    There is one issue with this deck when I first played it. It was slow on build up and card draw and the swarm was not fast as goblins or rabbits. Needing certain cards in assisting with the speed was going to be expensive. Black in the MTG color wheel or pie is one most expensive colors due how search engines work in this wheel I.E. tutors. When getting the precon if they still exist, I recommend proxying some card after getting some games in. Proxy some tutors such as demonic tutor, vampiric tutor and diabolic tutor. For very efficient decks, tutors will help you in terms for searching for the cards you want and or need. This can still be a little slow since some them you play on your turn only aka sorcery speed. 

       


    After using the tutors in the deck, I became a threat at the table by turn five. Proxying these cards was great and it assisted with learning more about syncing up the play style for this format. When discussing with table about proxying, they were ok with it at my LGS. I recommend always letting people know about you proxying as well as have people around that are great about it. Cause No one has $25-$75 for some tutors regardless of which print it is. 

Thanks for reading and have a great proxy! 
Leave a comment below on what you would proxy this particular deck?








         

Comments

  1. Nice! I just printed/ordered cards to make three new decks! I'm building Kellan the Kid, Arabella, and Xira, the Golden Sting!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts